In 2008, Bart and Maricela Madden donated the A. A. Smith House to North Central College. The Maddens purchased the house in 1999, and renovated and furnished it in the original Eastlake Victorian style in which it was built.
The College’s connection with the house, however, dates back even before the home was built. The first College President, A. A. Smith, purchased property near North Central (then called North-Western) College’s new building in 1872. H.C. Smith, the son of President Smith, and his wife built a family home in 1885 on the property. Once the house was completed, the H. C. Smith family moved in with their five children along with the President Emeritus A. A. and Mrs. Eliza Cowles Smith, making it a three generational home. By 1905, only H. C. and Mary Smith remained in the home, so they decided to move to a smaller house recently built next door and sold the house at 28 S. Loomis to another family.