The Union Biblical Institute was incorporated in 1873 and began holding classes in 1876, renting space in Old Main for a nominal fee. The Evangelical Association started UBI as a training ground for its pastors, missionaries, and church workers. In 1908, UBI purchased property at the corner of School and Loomis streets, just north of the College. In 1912, this house was moved to the corner of Wright and School streets and served for many years as a residence for seminary students, remaining today as a private home. Construction began immediately on a new building to house the Evangelical Theological Seminary (the name changed from Union Biblical Institute in 1909). For many decades, the ETS building housed all functions of the seminary, including classroom, worship, library, and faculty offices. Additional buildings including Seybert and Kimmel residence halls and a new Academic Center were added to the ETS facilities. In 1968, the Evangelical United Brethren Church merged to form the United Methodist Church which resulted in two separate seminaries in the Chicago area, an impractical arrangement at best. In 1974, the seminaries merged to become Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary and relocated to the campus of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. In 1976-1977, the College was able to act on their option to purchase the former Seminary properties and they were dedicated on May 15, 1977.